Wednesday, December 16, 2009

21st Century so different than the 20th......

Several weeks ago a man was on a radio talk show and was giving some interesting statistics...one of course I wrote down.... in the early 1900's,  there where over 30 million farmers....today there are only 300,000!  That is only 1% if I did my math correctly! That one percent feeds over 300 million people....humm I said to myself...scary actually.  Do you have a garden? Do you know how to even grow a tomato? Greenbeans? so on....I asked several co-workers that question...answer..."NO", hummm....thats scary...for them not me..but hey life isn't always about the you's is it?  So, we rely so heavily on others to produce almost everything that we use in our daily lives...Funny, but this stuff forms patterns, in our lives. One's that we do everyday, day in and day out. Typical worker: up at 6a.m. get the kids up send them off to school, we go to work, pick kids up take them out to eat, run them here and there, no time for ourselves..  :( sad isn't it..., go home go to bed, and do it all over again....think about it...a pattern.   Now, how many corky patterns do we all have, I mean, hey I have probably several almost like a ritual you know what I mean!  Take time to think of what yours are? 

Now, lets say something or someone puts a screw in your pattern, you know kid gets sick at school, suddenly, and your in the middle of a big meeting or ball game, or your pattern right, and your yanked out of it to get the kid, augggggggggg  it mess's your day up, it mess's what you had planned, and it mess's up your pattern.   Now you've got to be wondering why I am chatting about this stuff, Right?  Well, this is what I see happening with the stock market day in and day out, and it has been happening since the stock market as we know it has been around...

The world as we know it is changing rapidly, the good old days are gone, Poof!  Can you feel the change? the pattern has changed...our industrial world as we know it is gone. The good ol U.S.A, doesn't feel like apple pie and Chevrolet anymore does it?  It feels like most of the commercials I seeeee...a pill for this that aches you, and a pill to cheer you up, and if that doesn't work, hey we got drinks that will make you run like a deer all day long!  Most of it is just B.S, isn't it..but it sells, you hear it all the time, we have become the Consumer nation.  One of the other reasons I think we have pills and drinks to help us along is we do not handle the screws in our lives very well, you know Change, and I don't mean the pennies in your pocket change....The 20th century was so calm, mellow,  until we had war and that changed things for our grandparents , a screw had been thrown in, then the boomers where born, the structure of hard work, fair pay, and the expectation that a job would alway be their no matter what. My parents, maybe your parents where(are) the loyal to one company type, do or die, just like the fans of the Yankees. They lived life conservatively, yet they where innovative and name brands where born, Tide, GM,Ford, so on...they wanted their children to have what they did not have, an education, better this and better that...and they did, up until Now!

Most of those boomers kids are laid off, can't find work, eating out is a luxury now...$$ is hard to come by, yet they still expect the Jobs, they are loosing everything, and some are even loosing the shirts off their backs. They worked hard like their parents, and they where loyal to the GM's, Fords, Merrill's, Goldmans, and they have nothing left after all these years of service to these co's. What has happened!   

Technology has really put the biggest screw in the job market. It has increased the speed of change so rapidly that the majority of people, including myself get stunned at how fast our lives are going ...feels like the speed of light sometimes to me!...Gotta go here, gotta go there...faster and faster we go, more technology!
Is is Evil or good? that can only be answerd by you?   All I can tell you is, it has developed and produced more competition against so many companies world wide that it has cost millions of jobs to be lost and yet at the same time millions of jobs have been created from it, yet as time goes faster and faster technology will eventually take more jobs than it creates because it gets smarter and smarter...it will reproduce itself before it is over with ....thats my opinion...Have you watched your kids or young adults play outside lately?....I do not hear laughter much these days, or cheering on the fields, they are playing on their computers or cell phones, just like I am right now...or Wii machines....isn't life funny?  Change, Technology, next whats next? World competition and demographics, companies are leaving to rebuild in the new industrialization countries, but what happens when they run out of new countries to go too?   They come back to the good ol U.S.A, but will we be that country any longer??  Remember this effects all of us Now and in the Future!   Supply and demand, the basics of economics, Big companies getting smaller, Wages getting smaller, Downsizing.   This has taken me several days to put together, but I wanted you all to start to think about the What If's?  The cycle's of change?  Just like the stock market...and the cycle of life...live, love, and laugh..we only live once..Later >L

7 comments:

  1. and C, this is not the big project I have been indulging myself into...I will share soon..L>

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29619236/ns/business-us_business/

    bad asset ratios increasing, maybe deleveraging 2 starts early next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. """The world as we know it is changing rapidly, the good old days are gone, Poof! Can you feel the change? the pattern has changed...our industrial world as we know it is gone"""

    One way or the other I think it will reverse one day and go back to the old way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.morganstanley.com/institutional/techresearch/mobile_internet_report122009.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!...thanks R, those reports are just amazing, I need to go find a new bank, I had no idea...and the Internet report is just facinating...I will take the time to go thru the slide presentation...hmmm should you go long Rimm, apple,or google? or verizon, att, how do you think you should trade it long? L>

    ReplyDelete
  6. L I can help you math out your ideas meaning
    I know how to research and data mine to see what is statistically significant versus what is just a guess or subjective.
    Here is a good start for you search the St. Louis Fed web site for economic data and www.bls.gov for employment / unemployment demographics etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey L, Let me know when and how to play that mobile internet thing .. I am just starting to look into it myself and might get into them after P3 .. That P3, it just seems so far away now almost like it won't happen anymore... I just think it has been delayed or maybe will become muted.

    You still see year end rally L? .. Any other stocks to play it besides STP

    ReplyDelete